The Department of Linguistics admits students to two degree programs: Master of Arts (MA) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
Applications must satisfy both the regulations of the School of Graduate Studies as well as the requirements of the Department of Linguistics. Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements and whose research interests are consistent with research areas in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Toronto will be considered by the Admissions Committee.
International applicants: Please refer to the International Degree Equivalencies Tool to confirm that your degree meets the minimum admission requirements prior to applying for admission.
Admission to both programs is highly competitive. Successful applicants usually exceed the minimum requirements for admission.
The School of Graduate Studies Admissions FAQs provide answers to frequently asked questions about admission to graduate programmes at the University of Toronto.
Application deadlines: There is one application period to be considered for admission in the following September.
Online application system opens: 1st October.
Application and document submission deadline: 15th January.
Please do not send original documents to the department unless you are requested to do so. Regulations do not allow us to return documents to applicants.
Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their applications, and ensuring that all of the necessary components of the application package have been submitted. You can check the status of your documents by logging into the Online Application and viewing the details of your application. Offers of Admission: The Admissions Committee begins considering applications in late January. This is an on-going process. Offers of admission begin in February, and continue until all available places are filled. All applicants will be advised of the result of their application by mid-June.
Tuition Fees: The department does not set tuition fees. For information about fees, please refer to the following link: www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Graduate-Fees.aspx
Applications to graduate programmes in the Department of Linguistics must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies through the online admissions application, which is housed on a secure server at the University of Toronto. The department will consider your application only after you have entered your personal and academic information in the online application and submitted the application fee.
International applicants should pay special attention to the International Degree Equivalencies Tool to confirm that their degree is equivalent to the minimum admission requirements.
Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be e-mailed to you. You may return to your application at any point until you move to the payment stage. At that point, you can return to check on the status of this application, including whether we have received your supporting documents.
Applicants to graduate programs in the Department of Linguistics are responsible for assembling all the relevant documents together with the required application forms from the links below, completing these forms, and submitting these documents. It is not necessary to submit forms to the department directly unless specifically requested.
A complete application consists of the following documents:
- A statement of interest of one page indicating the applicant's areas of interest;
- Transcripts from each university attended, complete to the time of application. These may be unofficial transcripts. If they are in a language other than English they must be translated into English. An official transcript must be provided upon receipt of an offer for admission;
- Three letters of reference from linguistics instructors. The link to the reference letter form will be provided to the referees through a secure link on the SGS application website. The applicant should fill out the referee information form and submit it with their documentation;
- For applicants to the PhD programme only: one sample of your written work in linguistics (in English or French), e.g., a term paper. This document should not exceed 20 pages. It should be as recent as possible and should provide evidence of your ability to do linguistics at an advanced level.
- Applicants whose primary language is not English and who are not graduates of a university whose language of instruction is uniformly English must submit proof of English language facility. More information about recognized tests can be found at the SGS English Proficiency Testing page. Note that the Department of Linguistics requirements are higher than the minimum required by the School of Graduate Studies.
There is a non-refundable application fee of $120 CAD. Payment of your application fee must be received by the School of Graduate Studies before we will consider your application. You may pay online by VISA or Mastercard. This payment method is secure as the transaction is handled by Mirapay, a third party authorized by VISA and Mastercard. Mirapay provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only; SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that pop up blockers on your web browser be disabled. You must be able to receive pop-ups.
For technical support with the online application process, please contact the School of Graduate Studies directly. Please be sure to include your name and 12-digit Applicant Number.
Late applications will be considered only if there is space remaining.