Linguistics Programs of Study (POSts)
Course descriptions are found in the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar.
If there is a discrepancy between this page and the Calendar, the Calendar will be taken as correct.
Specialist Completion Requirements
12.0 full course equivalents (FCEs):
- Language Requirement (2.0 FCEs): Two years of study or its equivalent of one non-Germanic, non-Romance language in courses using the spoken language (courses must be approved by the Associate Chair, Undergraduate). We encourage you to begin this language study in your first or second year.
- Students might wish to consider extending their language study so that they can receive a Language Citation on their transcript. This would be a separate transcript entry from the LIN Specialist POSt, and not a requirement for the LIN Specialist POSt.
- Required Courses (5.5 FCEs):
- Elective Courses (4.5 FCEs): A total of 4.5 FCEs in LIN/JAL/JFL/JLP/JLS (excluding LIN200H1, LIN203H1, LIN204H1) including:
- 1.5 FCEs at the 300+ level
- 0.5 FCE at the 400 level
- Up to 1.0 FCE may be from other departments. Approved courses include ANT329H1, ANT425H1, ANT427H1; COG250Y1; CSC384H1, CSC401H1, CSC448H1, CSC485H1; FIN220H1, FIN305H1; FRE272H1, FRE273H1, FRE274H1, FRE376H1, FRE378H1, FRE379H1, FRE379H1, FRE383H1, FRE386H1, FRE387H1, FRE388H1, FRE471H1, FRE487H1, FRE488H1, FRE489H1; GER400H1, GER426H1, GER462H1; HPS250H1, HPS322H1, HPS352H1; ITA360H1, ITA363H1; NML315H1, NML463H1; PHL210Y1, PHL245H1, PHL310H1, PHL311H1, PHL325H1, PHL326H1, PHL340H1, PHL342H1, PHL345H1, PHL347H1, PHL351H1, PHL355H1, PHL405H1, PHL451H1, PHL479H1, PHL480H1, PHL481H1; SLA255H1, SLA380H1, SLA452Y1; SPA322H1, SPA324H1, SPA421H1, SPA422H1, SPA423H1; VIC223Y1. Other courses might also qualify; consult the Undergraduate Coordinator for approval.
Major Completion Requirements
7.0 full course equivalents (FCEs):