Linguistics Programs of Study (POSts)
Course descriptions are found in the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar.
If there is a discrepancy between this page and the Calendar, the Calendar will be taken as correct.
Specialist Completion Requirements
12.0 full course equivalents (FCEs):
- Language Requirement (2.0 FCEs): Two years of study or its equivalent of one non-Germanic, non-Romance language in courses using the spoken language (courses must be approved by the Undergraduate Coordinator). We encourage you to begin this language study in your first or second year.
- Students might wish to consider extending their language study so that they can receive a Language Citation on their transcript. This would be a separate transcript entry from the LIN Specialist POSt, and not a requirement for the LIN Specialist POSt.
- Required Courses (5.5 FCEs):
- Elective Courses (4.5 FCEs): A total of 4.5 FCEs in LIN/JAL/JFL/JLP/JLS (excluding LIN200H1, LIN203H1, LIN204H1) including:
- 1.5 FCEs at the 300+ level
- 0.5 FCE at the 400 level
- Up to 1.0 FCE may be from other departments. Approved courses include ANT329H1, ANT425H1, ANT427H1; COG250Y1; CSC384H1, CSC401H1, CSC448H1, CSC485H1; FIN220H1, FIN305H1; FRE272H1, FRE273H1, FRE274H1, FRE376H1, FRE378H1, FRE379H1, FRE379H1, FRE383H1, FRE386H1, FRE387H1, FRE388H1, FRE471H1, FRE487H1, FRE488H1, FRE489H1; GER400H1, GER426H1, GER462H1; HPS250H1, HPS322H1, HPS352H1; ITA360H1, ITA363H1; NML315H1, NML463H1; PHL210Y1, PHL245H1, PHL310H1, PHL311H1, PHL325H1, PHL326H1, PHL340H1, PHL342H1, PHL345H1, PHL347H1, PHL351H1, PHL355H1, PHL405H1, PHL451H1, PHL479H1, PHL480H1, PHL481H1; SLA255H1, SLA380H1, SLA452Y1; SPA322H1, SPA324H1, SPA421H1, SPA422H1, SPA423H1; VIC223Y1. Other courses might also qualify; consult the Undergraduate Coordinator for approval.
Major Completion Requirements
7.0 full course equivalents (FCEs):